Tuesday, January 24, 2012

THE AMERICAN ART BOOK

Yesterday, I took me a trip down to Goodwill with my friend. I decided to venture towards books to see if there was anything of interest, out of the corner of my eye there was a huge thick 500 page tome called "The American Art Book" by Phaidon Publishing. Inside in alphabetical order were 100's of America's most important and influential artist, and for a trifling sum of $2.99 it was mine, ohhhh what a bargain!

I flipped through it and there were some incredible artist and works that I had never heard of. Here are a couple that grabbed my attention.

JOHN WHITE ALEXANDER
It's no surprise he is highly influenced by John Singer Sargent, actually they were good friends. 




He seemed pretty interested in women turned away from you.


Samuel Clemens!
There were so many to pick from but this should give you a very good idea of his work.

THOMAS ANSHUTZ





WILLIAM BAILEY




CECILIA BEAUX







JAMES BROOKS





Frank Duveneck

Exquisite Alla Prima!





Al Hansen




Thomas Hovenden


Alice Neel






  Jack Levine






5:29 PM Gaston Lachaise



WILLIAM BELLOWS



Actually I've seen the one above but forgot about it, I had never known who did it until now. You can feel the movement in that one, it's fantastic!








No comments:

Post a Comment